Can we talk about real custom-designed jewelry? Five steps to a piece that is all about YOU.
Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but apparently a lot of people don't know the difference between a true original design and the claims of most independent and chain stores, where they plop a diamond into a mass-produced ring and call it one-of-a-kind.
The other day I saw a commercial for a manufacturer advertising custom design. "Pick one of our diamonds and put it in one of our ready-made rings." That's not custom design, that's just cheesy salesmanship and doing what they know how to do ... as little as possible. Another thing custom design is not, is copying a manufactured piece or adapting some other jeweler's design and calling it 'original.'
In both cases, one gets a generic design created for the mass market, or someone else's design, not an expression of your unique personality.
True custom design is an art. Rings, pendants or earrings are made just for you, using precious metals, gems and diamonds that we choose together, or using your existing gems and creating an original design for those gems. It's a complex - and fun - process, resulting in the perfect fit for you literally and figuratively. That's why so few artists offer it.
1. We talk about what you like, what your lifestyle is, what your personal style is.
2. We look through portfolios of my past work to start the creative process.
3. From there I do sketches that approximate what I think fits you and works with the chosen materials and you and I refine it from there.
4. Next I make a wax model with gems in place so you can see in three dimensions what the piece is going to look like and how it fits you. It's a wonderful way to make certain we are on the same page stylistically and ensure it is the correct size. This process also works for surprise scenarios; many men and women come in for engagement, anniversary or just-because gifts.
5. Finally, your finished piece is set, polished, and presented to you - the only person in the world to have that unique piece.
Oh, there is a 6th step: Maybe you can help me spread the word. Let's educate people what custom design is really about! It's about ART ...
A for Art ...
R for Rarity ...
T for Terrific!
You're special. You deserve a true, original, one-of-a-kind design.